Today Government have announced that Abellio will be the now franchisee running rail services in the East Midlands from August. They will be required as part of the deal to put together a proper business case for our Robin Hood Line extension through Warsop and Sherwood Forest. Great to see this moving forward!
They're also planning:
• A major investment in rolling stock, including a fleet of new intercity bi-mode trains – which also create business opportunities for the EastMidlands’ world class rail sector;
• A significant increase in the number of seats on peak London services and improved journey times, as well as improvements to capacity and comfort on local and regional services;
• More Sunday services and early and late running trains
• Significant investment in and around stations;
• Better planning for services to visitor attractions and to major events, and more support for Community Rail Partnerships which work to promote under-used rail lines; and
• Much needed improved comfort, ticketing, compensation and free wifi on trains and at stations for passengers.
The franchise will commence on 18th August 2019 and last until 21st August 2027, with the option for the Secretary of State to extend for a further 2 years.